ZPC: We ♥ U
This post wraps up my zombie theme, and then, I’m on to the next one. I want to highlight a really cool annual event that happens every October in Minneapolis: the Zombie Pub Crawl (ZPC). This is an event where thousands of people dress like zombies and wander the area (last year was the Warehouse District) and have a really great time drinking, dancing and listening to great musical venues, while enjoying a night as the living dead. ZPC describes their event as “a cross between Mardi Gras and a George Romero movie.”
- It started in 2005 with a mere 150 zombies in attendance.
- ZPC is the original zombie gathering.
- In 2012, they made the Guinness Book of World Records by gathering 8,000 zombies at Midway Stadium in St. Paul.
- Although over 25,000 zombies were in attendance that year, only 8,000 could be recorded because of specific Guinness record-breaking rules (one largest venue).
- In 2013, New Jersey took the record with a gathering of 9,000 zombies.
- In 2014, ZPC reclaimed the record with an impressive total of over 15, 000 zombies.
- Around 30,000 people are in attendance of this event.
I (along with a few friends and family) was there in 2012, at Midway Stadium, when the first world record was made. I was one of the 8,000 zombies that were tallied.
My group and I hung around the big guy (Phil the Zombie) a lot that night. Good times.
And now, for your viewing pleasure, I’ll share a few of my personal photos from that first record-breaking night.
This was a “snap yourself” photo booth. After the event, you could go to the site and download your photos. My group and I were dressed as a wedding party . . . plus 1 infected wedding guest. The photo booth was the starting point to our night of carousing.
All-in-all it was a great night. However, as I sit here typing this, I can’t help thinking about the two regrets I have from that night. #1: I haven’t been back since. I’ve tried the last 2 years and something has always come up at the last minute to keep me from going. Not this year. This year I’m going. #2: That year was my first time dressing like a zombie. And even though I like the rotting flesh technique I used, I now realize, when transforming yourself into a zombie, the rule of thumb “less is more” is not applicable. But now I’ve got some pretty great makeup tips to try out this next time around.
And now, as a bonus, I will leave you with a couple of videos from the greatest zombie game of all time . . . sorry Resident Evil fans . . . it’s simply this chick’s opinion.
Thus ends our zombie-themed week. I hope you’ve enjoyed it.
Until next time . . .